Skip to main content

NOVENA TO THE HOLY SPIRIT DAY NINE

 NOVENA TO THE HOLY SPIRIT 





In The name of The Father and of the Son and of The Holy Spirit Amen


 HYMN 

COME HOLY SPIRIT, CREATOR COME

1. Come Holy Spirit, Creator come,

    From thy bright heavenly throne,

    Come take possession of our souls,

    And make them all thy own.

2. Thou who art called the Paraclete,

    Best gift of God above,

    The living spring, the living fire,

    Sweet unction and true love.

3. Thou who are sev’n fold in thy grace,

    Finger of God’s right hand,

    His promise, teaching little ones,

    To speak and understand.

4. O guide thy, minds with thy blest light,

    Why love our hearts inflame,

    And with thy strength which never decays,

    Confirm our mortal frame.

5. Far from us drive our deadly foe,

    True peace unto us bring,

    And through all perils lead us safe,

    Beneath thy sacred wing.

6. Through thee may we the Father know,

     Through thee th’ eternal Son,

     And thee the Spirit of them both,

     Thrice –blessed Three in One.

7. All glory to the Father be,

    With His co-equal Son,

    The same to thee, great paraclete,

    While endless ages run. AMEN


V: Come, Holy Spirit! Fill the hearts of Your faithful,

R: And enkindle in them the fire of Your love.

V: Send forth your spirit and they shall be created

R: And you shall renew the face of the Earth

Let us pray: O God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit did instruct the Hearts of the faithful, grant that in the same Spirit we may be truly wise and ever rejoice in his consolation, through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen.

DAY 9: THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE PRINCIPAL OF UNITY THAT ANIMATES THE CHURCH TO BE HOLY, CATHOLIC, AND APOSTOLIC.

 ENTRANCE HYMN: COME HOLY SPIRIT

INTRODUCTION

The Holy Spirit is given to the Church as the principal of unity The “Spirit enables all men to be one and unity to be a multitude” He is also the principle of the communion of the saints, by this the Holy Spirit transcends both time and space, hence it is an eschatological gift, the supreme and ultimate gift of God as grace. According to Congar “The Church was established in the world by Pentecost, which gave it a vocation to universality, which was to be achieved not by means of a uniform extension, but by that everyone understood and expressed the marvels of God in their own language” (Acts 2:6-11.) Perhaps the most important is the idea that in Jesus and the Spirit the diversities in humankind become unimportant. The Spirit is the source of unity amid diversity. She does not eliminate diversity, but she makes it possible to rejoice in it instead of fighting over it. The Holy Spirit is also the principal of communion between the apostles and the church through them, there is a communion with the Father and his Son Jesus Christ. 

ACT OF CONTRITION

 Oh God, be merciful to me a sinner." I am sincerely sorry for all the faults and infidelities of my life because they offend Thee, my chief benefactor and sovereign God. I firmly resolve by the grace of the Holy Spirit to sin no more. Amen.


PRAYER FOR HUMILITY 

Oh my God and my all, you  who resists the proud and bestows Thy grace on the humble, grant us the virtue of true humility of which Your Only Begotten Son showed to the faithful an example in Himself; that we may never grieve Thee by our pride, but rather receive through humility, the gift of Thy grace. We make this prayer through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Roman Missal)

 PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT

Holy Spirit, the Divine Helper, Father of the poor, Comforter of the afflicted, Light of hearts, Sanctifier of souls; behold me prostrate in Your presence. I adore You with profound homage: I bless You a thousand times, and with the Angels who stand before Thy throne, I also say: "Holy, holy, holy". I firmly believe that You are eternal, of one substance with the Father and the Son. I hope in Your goodness that You will deign to save and sanctify my soul. I love You, O Divine Love, with all my affections above all things of this world, because You are Infinite Goodness, alone worthy of all my love. And since in my ingratitude and blindness to Thy holy inspirations, I have so often offended Thee by my sins, with tears in my eyes I beg Thy pardon more for having offended Thee, the Supreme Good, than for any other evil. I offer you this most cold heart of mine, and I pray you to pierce it with a ray of Your light, and with the spark of Your fire, which shall melt the hard ice of my iniquities.

…..You who filled the soul of the most holy Mary with immense graces, and inflamed the hearts of the apostles with holy zeal, inflame, I beseech You, my heart also with Your love.

…..You are the divine Spirit; give me courage against all evil spirits. …..You are Fire; enkindle me with a burning desire for your love.

…..You are Light; enlighten my mind with the knowledge of eternal things.

…..You are the Dove; give me innocence of life.

…..You are the gentle Breeze; disperse the storms of my passions.

…..You are the Tongue; teach me how to bless you always.

…..You are the Cloud; shelter me under the shadow of your protection.

And lastly, You are the Giver of all heavenly gifts; animate me, I beseech You, with Your grace; sanctify me with Your love; enlighten me with Your wisdom; adopt me by Your goodness as Your child and save me in Your infinite mercy; so that I may ever bless You, praise You, and love You along with the Father and the Son first during this life on earth, and then in heaven for all eternity. Amen.

SCRIPTURAL READING

Prov 8:1-9 (Read) 

Lk 1: 46-55

HYMN CHB: No: 215 SPIRIT OF GOD

A TALK:  I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT" (Optional)

 LET US PRAY: (To be recited together by the whole congregation)

Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I know that my body is Your Temple. I believe and trust that you are the source of life, Almighty God, our Creator. My whole body is filled with your life and love. Lord Jesus, touch me with Your Precious Blood and wash away all my sins. I ask your forgiveness for every sin of mine. Heal me of all the hurts, anger, guilt feelings and all painful memories that linger in my deepest being. I have sinned, Lord, against you and against my neighbor. Jesus, you are present in the Eucharist. Lord, do come into my heart. While you are in my heart, I have nothing to fear, for you are the Son of God, and in my heart You are near. In you is life, and in Your life, Lord Jesus, I find life. You touched the bleeding woman and healed her. Have mercy on me, Lord. It is You Who guide me with your strength and make me righteous in Your presence. Lord, God, You are almighty. You are merciful. You have touched me and healed me of all my ailments of soul, mind and body. I thank you specially for bringing me closer to You, for loving and protecting me and for healing me completely. With deep faith in my heart, I adore You my loving Jesus Who with the Father and the Holy Spirit are God forever and ever. Amen.

Oh Holy Spirit

When the doors are closed and we are afraid to move  

Fill us with your Holy Spirit! 

When we are weak and unable to act – 

Fill us with your Holy Spirit!

When we are hesitant and unable to speak –

 Fill us with your Holy Spirit! 

When we lack energy and are unable to cope – 

Fill us with your Holy Spirit! 

That we may go out in your power – 

Fill us with your Holy Spirit!

That we may live and work for you – 

Fill us with your Holy Spirit! 

That we may be part of your mission – 

Fill us with your Holy Spirit!

LITANY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

Lord, have mercy on us

Christ, have mercy on us

Lord, have mercy on us

Christ hear us

Christ graciously hear us

God the Father of heaven, Have Mercy on Us

God the Son, Redeemer of the world

God the Holy Spirit

Holy Trinity, one God,

Father all powerful

Eternal Son of Father

Redeemer of the world,      save us

Spirit of the Father and the Son

boundless life of both,      sanctify us

Holy Trinity,       hear us

Holy spirit, who proceeds from the

Father and the Son, enter our hearts

Holy spirit who are equal to the 

Father and the Son, enter our hearts

Promise of the father, Have mercy on us

Ray of heavenly light,

Author of all good,

Source of heavenly water,

Consuming fire,

Ardent charity,

Spiritual unction,

Spirit of love and truth,

Spirit of wisdom and understanding,

Spirit of counsel and fortitude,

Spirit of knowledge and piety,

Spirit of the fear of the Lord,

Spirit of grace and prayer,

Spirit of peace and meekness,

Spirit of modesty and innocence,

Holy Spirit the comforter,

Holy Spirit the sanctifier,

Holy Spirit who govern the Church,

Gift of God the most high,

Spirit who fill the universe,

Spirit of the adoption of the children of God,

Holy Spirit, inspire us with horror of sin,

Holy Spirit, come and renew the face of the earth,

Holy Spirit, shed your light in our souls

Holy Spirit, engrave your law in our hearts

Holy Spirit, inflame us with the flame of your love

Holy Spirit, open to us the treasures of your graces

Holy Spirit, teach us to pray well

Holy Spirit, enlighten us with your heavenly inspirations

Holy Spirit, lead us in the way of salvation

Holy Spirit, grant us in the only necessary knowledge 

Holy Spirit, inspire in us the practice of good

Holy Spirit, grant us the merits of all virtues

Holy Spirit, make us persevere in justice

Holy Spirit, be our everlasting reward,

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world; 

send us the holy spirit

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world; 

pour down into our souls the gifts of the Holy Spirit 

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world; 

grant us the Spirit of wisdom and piety.


V. Come Holy Spirit! Fill the hearts of the faithful

R. And enkindle in them the fire of your love.


LET US PRAY

Grant o merciful Father, that your divine Spirit enlighten, inflame, and purify us, that he may penetrate us with his heavenly dew and make us fruitful in good works; through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son who with you, in the unity of the same Spirit live and reign, forever and ever. Amen.


PRAYER TO OBTAIN THE SEVEN GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

O Holy Spirit, grant me the spirit of wisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal, the spirit of Understanding to enlighten my mind with the light of thy Divine truth, the spirit of counsel that I may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining Heaven, the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear my cross with Thee and that I may overcome with courage all the obstacles that oppose my salvation, the spirit of knowledge that I may know God and know myself and grow perfect in the science of Saints, the spirit of Piety that I may find the service of God sweet and amicable, the spirit of fear that I may be filled with a loving reverence toward God and may dread in any way to displease Him. Mark me Dear Lord, with the sign of thy true disciples and animate me in all things with Thy Spirit.

Amen.


In The name of The Father and of the Son and of The Holy Spirit Amen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Catholics should not eat meat during Christmas Eve

  One of the traditional acts of Christmas is to abstain from meat on Christmas Eve, 24th December.  I could still remember the temptation from the aroma of the fried chicken from my Mama Lucy's kitchen when I was 7 years old. I asked her for a bite and she shouted “Agbedo" meaning never!!! “Why grandma?” I asked, she took me by hands to the Church manger and showed me the animals in the crib: “Yes, Olu, we cannot eat meat on Christmas Eve because the animals were the ones who kept Jesus company at his birth, so we must respect them today''. “Waoo!” I exclaimed, “So that's why I cannot eat meat today...” I held unto this tradition until I entered Seminary only for us to eat plenty meat on the Christmas Eve. Then I asked: “Why are we not respecting the animals today?” And my brothers laughed at my ignorance.  Why then should grandma stop me from eating meat? According to Wikipedia, the Catholic Church historically observes the disciplines of fasting and abstinence a

A Summary on Evangelii Nuntiandi 1975

A Summary on Evangelii Nuntiandi 1975 Pope Paul VI on December 1975 wrote to the Episcopate, Clergy and to all the faithful of the entire world on evangelization in the modern world. In his introductory part he emphasized that ,the condition of the society in which we live oblige us to seek for a new method on how to bring the Gospel message to the modern man, he explained that evangelization is not an occasional or temporary task but a permanent and constitutive necessity of the church, he therefore, called on all (cleric and lay faithful) to meditate and re-evaluate the three pertinent questions; “in our days what has happened to that hidden energy of the Good News, which is able to have a powerful effect on man’s conscience?, To what extent and in what way is that evangelical force capable of really transforming the people of this century?, What method should be followed in order that the power of the Gospel may have its effect?. The whole mission of Christ is summed up in the Go

About Society of Divine Vocations in Nigeria

The Society of Divine Vocations, also known as the Vocationist Congregation, is a Religious Congregation of Priests, Brothers and Sisters founded by St. Justin Mary Russolillo (1891-1955) in Italy. The Vocationist Fathers and Brothers Congregation was first founded on October 18, 1920 while the Vocationist Sisters was founded on October 1, 1921. The Congregation has its motherhouse at Pianura in the district of Naples in Italy.  The Vocationist Congregation has its main charism as identifying and fostering vocations to priesthood and religious life, especially among the less privileged. The Vocationists work in Vocationaries (considered as their most characteristic work and most special and primary field of action), parishes, schools, and missions. The Society of Divine Vocation is a core religious institute of Pontifical Right. We live in communities and profess the three evangelical counsels of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience. Vocation is our business. God has specially called us thr